CLASS STUDY Information Technology



Our union held a forum January 17 to clarify the upcoming changes in how the state classifies information technology (IT) positions. With the goal of retaining staff, our union negotiated a new IT structure with the state. If you have any questions about your position or these changes, please contact the Member Connection Center at 1-833-MCC-WFSE (833-622-9372).  Additional documents pertaining to these changes can be downloaded below.

The New IT Professional Structure

Frequently Asked Questions

General Government and Community College Coalition

QUESTION 1:  I heard there will be new IT job classifications effective July 1, 2019. Is this true?

A: Yes! Challenges with recruitment and retention triggered a classification study for IT workers that began in 2014. The result of that study, and of negotiating with our Union, is a brand new structure of IT Professional job “families” and “levels.”

QUESTION 2:  What are “families” and “levels”?

A: Job families are the primary categories of functions that IT workers perform and levels are the various levels of work within those families. For example, you could be an Entry level worker in the Customer Support family or a Senior/Specialist in IT Architecture. What family and level you are reallocated to will depend on the duties you perform as outlined in your PDF.

QUESTION 3:  What is a “PD or PDF”?

A: A “PD” or “PDF” is a position description form – its purpose is to describe a position’s main role in your agency/college and to show how your work helps the agency/college achieve its mission. IT positions have a unique position description form that captures IT work.

QUESTION 4:  What is a reallocation?

A: A reallocation is the personnel action taken by the Employer to officially change your job classification when the work of your position has been determined to best fit into a different job classification or family & level based on acceptable allocating criteria.

QUESTION 5:  What is “allocating criteria”?

A: Through case precedent established by decisions issued from the Personnel Resources Board, classification series concepts, classification definitions, and classification distinguishing characteristics (in that order) have been determined to be the types of allocating criteria considered in the allocation process. The new IT “evaluator’s handbook” is the tool that will be used to evaluate and properly allocate IT positions.

QUESTION 6:  What if I don’t agree with my new classification or family and level?

A: You have the right to request a review of the decision by the Director of the Office of State HR. The notice of your reallocation should contain your right to challenge the decision however, it is important you do not rely on this notice as any request for a Director’s review must be filed within specific time frames. See the Classification Article of your contract.

QUESTION 7:  What is a “PRR”? 

A: Along the way you may hear the term “PRR.” This stands for position review request and submitting one is the mechanism by which an employee can initiate their own reallocation process if they do not believe their current job family & level is the best fit for the work they perform.

QUESTION 8:  What if my new job family & level pays more than my old one?

A: You will receive a pay raise of no less than 2.5% on top of any other increases you are entitled to. Many will receive significant increases as a result of this new structure.

QUESTION 9:  What if my new job classification pays less than my old one?

A: Our union negotiated that your current pay is protected so you will not see a decrease!

QUESTION 10:  When will I know what my position is being reallocated to?

A: Agencies and colleges will be sharing preliminary determinations soon, although an exact date for sharing this information is not set. Inquire with your manager or HR for the expected timeline at your worksite.

QUESTION 11:  Where can I find out more about what was won by our Union?

QUESTION 12:  Is this a sure thing?

A: No! We have negotiated this tentative agreement with the state but we must fight to ensure it is funded by the legislature in order for it to be a sure thing.

  • Find out how you can help here:
  • Talk to a WFSE rep today! Contact the Member Connection Center (MCC) at 1-833-MCC-WFSE (633-922-9737).


  1.  WFSE IT Wins!
  2.  MOU IT (Sep 2018)
  3. IT Postition Description & Class PowerPoint Q&A
  4.  IT Job Family Descriptions
  5.  IT Evaluator's Handbook 2018